When you research, you learn. After transferring ‘data’ from 30 dance nonprofit tax returns (990/990EZ), I realized we may need some help — some explanations of ‘what’ goes ‘where.’ Disclaimer: I’m NOT a TAX ACCOUNTANT, so please discuss any questions you have with your accountant.
IRS Form 990 EZ | Line 16. OTHER EXPENSES
This is where we have to explain the $amount$ entered on Line 16 on Schedule O. But … BUT … some are missing the opportunity to list these expenses on Lines 10-15 instead of under OTHER EXPENSES:
- GRANTS (scholarships to students – tuition & travel) on Line 10, (describe type of grants and how many on Schedule O – tuition, travel)
- SALARIES, compensation and employee benefits on Line 12,
- PROFESSIONAL FEES paid to independent contractors: accountants, attorneys, FUNDRAISERS, grant writers, public relations/media specialists, on Line 13, (not artistic independent contractors)
- RENT (occupancy) that ‘includes’ utilities (internet, cable, and communication/phones are considered ‘utilities’) and ‘maintenance/janitorial’ on Line 14, and
- PRINTING of programs, promotional materials + postage and shipping on Line 15.
In a follow-up news post (soon), I’ll discuss the common types of OTHER EXPENSES incurred by those in the DANCE BUSINESS.
Krystyna Parafinczuk, ADC Treasurer, Arizona Dance e-Star editor/designer, Project Manager: ECONOMIC IMPACT OF DANCE
gro.noitilaocecnadzanull@anytsyrk | 520-743-1349
The Arizona Dance Coalition is a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) membership-based organization. We work to connect and support the statewide dance communities through our website content, communications, and sponsorship of educational dance conferences and master classes. We inform, educate, and promote dance arts and their benefits to the general public.
If you’d like to JOIN ADC, membership is for individuals, organizations and venues/presenters affiliated with dance.
SUBSCRIBE to receive our news and announcements.
ADC – creating connections since 2006. Learn more about ADC here.